Reed Elementary School’s gifted education Teacher, Karen Engelkenjohn has been chosen as the Midwest Education Technology Conference (METC) International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) affiliate Making IT (Instructional Technology) Happen award winner. Karen was nominated by her gifted education colleague from Conway Elementary School, Donna Bancroft.
Recipients of the Making IT Happen award meet the following criteria:
- Apply available technology now.
- Move forward and don’t look back.
- See students as real people.
- Teach through relationships, inspiring, encouraging, nurturing.
- Recognize that further change is necessary but understand that it is a process.
- Realize that teacher empowerment is the key element in technology integration.
- Expect success.
- Motivate through awareness and access to information.